Being an attempt to write a computational fluid dynamics simulation using no more than two raised to the power ten bytes.
First, before I begin, N.B: apparently the extreme brevity required by this project has put me in rather a garrulous mood, so I apologize for the length of this post-mortem. If you’re interested in maybe learning a few byte shaving tricks for your own js1k, though, read on. Also, verbose variable names will be used for the sake of clarity, though keep in mind that all variables here have a single letter identifier in the final program.
Over the 2013 winter holidays I was looking for a project to work on. I had been interested in learning more about the canvas element for a while, so, with the snow driving o’er the fields, I decided to make a simple snow simulation to start learning some canvas basics. Once I had a simple snow program up and running in the canvas, I turned my attention to implementing a wind system that would allow users to interact with the snow, creating gusts of wind with their mouse. My initial naive attempts—which mostly involved a mesh of nodes which contained a single wind vector, and some mechanism to propagate those vectors to the next node in their direction of travel—were fairly unsatisfactory, so I began to look for ways to improve the wind system. After some cursory googling, I started looking in earnest at computational fluid dynamics. This led me to the Navier-Stokes equations, which seemed just a little too complicated for what I was after. Navier-Stokes led me to lattice-gas automata (LGA), which, while conceptually quite simple, has some inherent issues. Finally, LGA led to the lattice Boltzmann methods (LBM).